Monday, April 24, 2023

Not What I Planned...But Still a Great Adventure

Alabama Hills, Ca


Not my Photo

 I am back Home.....Yup the trip was shortened by almost half. I arrived at Lone Pine early Sunday afternoon. I had a GPS route change in Kingman   that I thought was going to be a short detour due to traffic but ended up being a new route that Ms GPS thought I would enjoy more...Took me through Vegas and then south though Death Valley. I was not amused nor impressed driving through the middle of "Sin City".😁  The monument is from Mt Vernon, Mo and depicts the exact route that I took except I did not go to Los Angeles, I should of hit highway 395 to Lone Pine. I believe it was 1680 miles from Ozark, Mo.


Alabama Hills, Ca

Death Valley was overloaded with cars, vans, campers and RV's. several accidents on the switch backs and no available campsites. Someone had indicated that it was Spring Break starting that week....that was one thing I didn't check when deciding which week to leave. It became apparent that I wasn't the only one that had Alabama Hills as a destination point for the week.  I did a sweep of the area looking for a dispersed camping site.... and settled for an open spot, not a lot of solitude but a nice view of the Eastern Sierras.  

Alabama Hills, Ca

  



 I set up, and relaxed with a beverage and imagined folks in covered wagons being here 150 years ago wondering what was on the other side of those magnificent peaks. Early to bed and early to rise..

Alabama Hills, Ca


 Got up about  0530. brewed a pot of  coffee, set up a camera and watched the sun climb the eastern range until the first rays of light kissed the tips Sierras and Mt Whitney. Not a cloud in the sky...The morning show did not disappoint! The photo's weren't as dramatic as those I've seen, but that was do to "operator error". Photo's or not, the morning light show was just what the Doctor ordered!!  I was back in the "saddle"!  

Alabama Hills, Ca


I decided to make another sweep of the area to see if I could find better campsite.....The area was still full of folks enjoying their Spring Break, so I stayed where I was  and decided to do a scouting trip north on 395.

North on Highway 395


 I started climbing in elevation and before I knew it I was driving in newly fallen snow.....Oh my, this was the icing on the cake. pulled off the road and took a couple pics and pressed on.  I was close enough to Yosemite so i decided to see if I could possibly get in there. Didn't know if they had a lottery system going  this early in the season.....about a half hour more driving and there was a sign that said it was closed. I assumed due to snow and not people. Oh well, I decided to return to Lone Pine!

That evening I grilled a steak, added a salad and ate while watching the sun go behind  Mt Whitney....realizing what a lucky person I was to be still be able to partake in these adventures. Tomorrow I would drive to Trona Pinnacles, see what it was like and maybe spend a couple days exploring that area.

North on Highway 395




Woke up about 0600 hours and while jumping up and down the bed platform, I noticed I was running out of breath to the extent I had to sit down and rest in-between tasks....Mmmmmm the next hour or so didn't show any improvement. My first thought was that it must be the elevation and my COPD, though in the past I have never had this extreme reaction, even at higher elevations. 



Alabama Hills, Ca





My plan was to find a motel at a lower elevation, stay overnight and see how my shortness of breath is tomorrow. I found a motel in Barstow, and they also had a hospital....just in case. Next morning my problem was the same and I decided to go to the ER and see if they could figure this out. The staff and medical process was "top shelf". wait time was very short. Within 10 minutes I was being seen by a NP and Doctor. Gave me an EKG, chest X-Ray and did a blood workup. based on the blood workup they decided to give me a CT-Scan. There was some indication I may have a blood clot. The CT-Scan found no evidence of a clot. At that point they felt that my problem may be COPD, but stated I still could have a a cardio problem. Their recommendation was to return home and get further medical attn, with my Cardio folks and also my Pulmonary Doctor. Since it was mid day I decided to stay in the area one more night and head out the next morning....which I did and 3 days later was greeted by my lovely Bride.  Have an appt next week with the Doc's....I now know I am no longer "Bullet Proof"😊




Winslow, Az
Though I only was able to scratch the surface of what I had planned, I'm still very grateful for been able to made this trip and   spend time in the area! I'm currently planning some two and three day camping trips for  next month in Missouri and Arkansas. As Clint Eastwood said "Don't let the Old Man in"👍😉  





Thanks for stopping by.....and Happy Trails....Until next time! Horst sends

Somewhere north of Vegas









2 comments:

  1. Wow. Not the way one would like to end a trip, but you did the right thing by seeing a doctor, and heading home. On our first visit to the Alabama Hills one could camp anywhere, and with few people. When we were there last year, people everywhere, and camping restricted to designated areas. Another result of covid.
    Hope you get a good diagnosis and treatment plan from your doctor. You need more time on the road to take those great photos I like so much...jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still was a great trip, even with the speed bumps. I've gotten some tests completed and the main one's starting 1 June. Hopefully they'll get it figured out and send me on the next adventure with no restrictions. In the meantime I'll restrict my trips to the immediate area. Take care Buddy!! Horst sends

      Delete