Saturday, May 18, 2024

Two Awesome Adventures

 Time does seem to go at warp speed these days...Its been 3 months since my last post. I've only taken two camping trips and the second one being cut short due to weather.... Ah, the weather. It's been the main culprit for the lack of activity. First it was just plain cold,   I don't do cold! Then for about the last 4 or 5 weeks we've in "Missouri Spring"....which means every week it would start  great, then   the next two days would be iffy and finally  the possibility of tornadoes. Sirens went off 3 or 4 times. During one 'time out' in our safe room it sounded like a 'freight train' going by. It did rip large tree limbs. Neighbor thought it was a tornado which hadn't touched the ground, or had just lifted. There where tornadoes in the area. Sporty Spring thus far!

I did manage a day trip to Arkansas to try and experience the solar eclipse and take some photo's. Finding a spot that didn't have 10,000 of my best friends was getting difficult. I finally found a National Forest with a firing range on it, and it had a large parking lot with good visibility to the sky. Only had a dozen or so locals..almost ended up being a tailgate party. Met a retired Marine and his wife. Very nice couple. You could tell he knew what he was  doing. Had some awesome equipment. we've exchanged emails and have corresponded a couple time. They live near Ft Leonard Wood. Great fun ! It became quite apparent that astrophotography wasn't something I have mastered yet...not even close. A lot of blurred shots and missed opportunities! It was still  a great way to spend a day... 










 





The next event was the Northern lights. I had no clue that there might be a chance to see the lights, one of the kids called up the day of the event and asked where I was going to photograph the Northern Lights. What?   So I did my usual scrabble and got out about 9pm and stayed until close to midnight This area was not suppose to get  'awesome' photo ops. Though they weren't like the horizontal event as you get Iceland, Northern Canada, or even  Yellowstone or Tetons. I was thrilled on what I got...especially being my first experience. These are the moments that make terrific memories. They say there's another chance within the next month and I will be there. This time I'll do some research on trying to find a place with interesting foreground. 









 

Other than that, I'm trying to stay busy and active.  Planting flowers, tomatoes and some herbs. Laying mulch down and enjoying the yard.

 

I'm doing some remodeling of the truck bed, to be able to accommodate the stuff I need to camp, which means I still need to downsize the amount I bring with me. I'd like to do some camping before it gets too hot. For the summer I will try to do some day photo trips, mainly on Rt 66, plus some general exploring. 

A Western sunset..I never tire of them!





We have been doing some yard work in between the storms...going to plant some tomatoes, more flowers, etc. this weekend. Get a couple more hummingbird feeders....yup, just 'piddling'!

I suppose I'll close for now and see if I can find a new adventure or two. Take care and Happy Trails to you all! Horst sends














2 comments:

  1. Piddling can become a full time job if you're not careful. Loved the eclipse photos, as well as the northern lights. They were even visable in our area, but, alas, we were in Natchez and missed them. By far my favorite though is the sunset. I miss taking shots of them as I once did.
    We've big plans for the Summer. From Four Corners area to Montana, then coastal Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Central Valley to Sequoia/Kings Canyon, and then home. Makes me wish I was blogging, still.
    Wishing you many Happy Trails this Summer. Looking forward to seeing them in color.....jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...what an awesome trip you and Wanda have planned, I am envious!!! It would be great if you would standup your Blog again...even if it was just for this trip!!! If you don't I guess I will have to get into FB more than the couple times a month I now look at it.
      Sequoia/Kings King...another location I thought I would get to last year...Take plenty of photo's, especially sunsets!!!
      Safe travels and enjoy making all those wonderful memories!!! Horst sends


      Delete