Sunday, April 15, 2018

Another Memorable Trip

(c)2018Horst Kelly Photographer
It been almost a week since I returned from my camping trip to Lake Somerville in search of Bluebonnets...and what a terrific adventure it was. First, let me say Lake Somerville State Park is a great park. It was only about a third operational do to mass flooding 2 years ago and they have done a outstanding job in getting things up and running. The campground is wooded with the majority of the current sites being back in type. They have a picnic table, fire pit with grill, water and electric and wooded space between sites. The staff is very friendly, informative and professional,  no Wi-Fi, however my Verizon cell worked fine.  During the week the Park was pretty empty...the weekend, pretty much filled up. Mostly fishing enthusiasts. Met some fantastic folks, had some relaxing fireside chats...good stuff!
(c)2018Horst Kelly Photographer

The lake has two campgrounds, the one  I stayed at is on the north side(Birch Creek) and the other one( Nails Creek CG) is more on the western tip of the lake. I spent the day there hiking and enjoying the scenery...Between the two CG's there are numerous trails....

Bluebonnets where not as prevalent as compared to previous years and must locations it was hard to pull over and get good shots.  I was mainly looking for  unique photo compositions....and at the end of the day, photo's or not it was a super trip. It is a place I will return to.
(c)2018Horst Kelly Photographer

My "training" on my large format camera was marginal at best...It does slow you down and the checklist is longer than an airplane's pre-fight list.  There are so many opportunities to screw up an exposure, and I think I managed to hit all of them..If 10 percent of my shots are exposed I will feel it was a success. Looking back it was a satisfying experience and one I will keep trying.

(c)2018Horst Kelly Photographer
Since my return, the dermatologist has practiced his surgical skills on me by doing some whittling on my back  which amounted to  8 or so stiches,  I am somewhat limited on my activities...no lifting, bending, sweating,  exercising,  etc...which in turn has given me opportunity to sit and cruise eBay and Amazon each day looking for things I don't need. :)) Also am nailing down the trip East(no camper), which will be happening soon.

It was a great time...great weather, great hiking, Great new Friendships, , great grilling, solitude and a few awesome sunsets...Life is Good!!!!

I have posted some photo's of the trip and other photo's on my website, so if you are interested click here... Bluebonnets   Until  next time.... Horst sends

(c)2018Horst Kelly Photography...Lake Somerville sunset.....

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a fun trip. Hope you have a great trip East visiting the kids and grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the trip...trying to get stuff organized here...If you are close to Somerville on your travels West, you may enjoy a stopover at the Lake...Hope all is well with you Guys...Horst sends

      Delete
  2. Horst, glad you had a great trip and learning that new camera you have. It can't be an easy one to use/learn, but what fun you will have with it. I loved your bluebonnet pics...the field was full of them.
    Take care and enjoy your trip east...maybe we will cross paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relaxing trip and the 4x5 camera though frustrating at times is fun to work with...Thanks for the kind remarks on the Bluebonnet photo's..Hoping one of these days we cross paths and share a campfire or such...though this trip will be without the Casita...Tae care my Friend...Horst sends

      Delete