Friday, October 21, 2011

Petroglyphs and evening visit to White Sands

Today was my final day in the Alamogordo area....two things I wanted to do was visit the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site...run by the BLM and then do a late afternoon visit to White Sands National Monument.....
Horst Kelly Photographer
Three  Rivers was about a 30 mile drive north.....its out in the middle of no where....I got there about 0830, filled out the form got my brochure....got Clyde, my trusty walking stick, and started on the half mile up hill hike....you are among rocks and boulders...and a small narrow path....the half mile will rise in elevation about 100 or so feet...no big problem.....in the summer I would be more careful as it appears to be a haven for rattlesnakes.....but today....not even a sign of a slither.......

This place is amazing ...it is the "Petroglyph candy store"...of all time..the "Treasure Trove"....I have seen more impressive, ornate ones but the amount that are here...and not on cliffs or sides of hills...but right there, to your right, your left, and in front of you....etched in small boulders...wow...what an adventure...I spent over two hours looking at each one ......

Horst Kelly Photographer


If you are into this sort of thing....this is a most  trip that your will enjoy.....to think about how old they are, what they represent...what was the story being told......why here.....I was on a natural high...of course this stuff fascinates me....sorry I know I'm going overboard...but hell...its my journal....

Horst Kelly Photography
Came back...downloaded the photo's, checked my emails, did a little "fix it" stuff in the camper....made lunch..started preparing for tomorrows departure....and then about 430pm headed for White Sands.....one more time.....
I picked a spot I though might provide some photo ops.....and started hiking the  dunes....my problem is that I got caught up in the place and forgot about the photography...I probably had hiked 2-3 miles and sat down and watched the changing of the sky and the dunes...lost track/sight about all else...

Soooo...I noticed a camera in my hand and remembered why I was here...I know I did not do this place justice....
Horst Kelly Photographer


It is a place that one can get caught up in and really enjoy...wheather through photography or just having a picnic with the family....hey, they provide sleds to slide down the dunes...I was wishing I had the "Grandkids" with me.....

It was a great last day ......I enjoyed my adventures to day.....but look forward to getting home and being with my "honey"......I'll close for now and probably edit some stuff at "O dark thirty" tomorrow morning....Happy Trails...Horst sends



No comments:

Post a Comment