Sunday, October 16, 2011

Next Stop "Hidden Valley Ranch"...Not the Salad Dressing...Deming


at my current campsite Horst Kelly Photographer


Reading my last Journal entry on Tombstone....maybe I was a little harsh on the good citizens of the township....or not....I don't know...I just hate when folks look at "stuff" through a dollar sign vs. a historical perspective...but that's just my opinion...and not a statement of fact.....

Today was a travel day to Deming NM, about 200 miles east...to Hidden Valley Ranch....a little north of Deming on US180...more on that later.....

Most of the drive was on I-10, though getting to 10 on State 80, I met a Border Patrol Station....pulled over for an inspection....with sniffing dogs...I asked if they wanted to look inside the camper, they said no...the dogs will tell them if there is a concern.....Wow.....good enough then!

I-10 Texas Canyon N.M. Horst kelly Photographer

When I reached I-10 the drive became one of boredom.....witnessed by the speed limit climbing  to 75mph, and I maintained my 55mph, I did put my "blinkers" on to give folks ample notice that I am a "turtle" on the I-10  race track....somewhere around exit 49 is The Continental Divide....I just never thought about it being here....well of course it runs North and South...doesn't stop in the Mountains of Colorado.......another senior moment.....also about this time 30 or so classic cars flew  past me and I mean classic...to include a 56 and 57 convertible Bel Air Chev.....in mint condition...wow, that got the cob-webs out of my brain......really nice.....and they where moving along about 65-70mph.....wish I could have gotten some photo's of that......


Horst Kelly photographer


Next thing I knew I was in Deming and took US 180 north to Hidden Valley Ranch  Rv Resort....this stretch of road is not likely to win the sub-division of  the month Award...but I continue...make a right turn onto Keeler Rd....and for the next 8 miles its dirt, washboard....I want to turn around and regroup but nothing wide enough to allow that to happen.....I get to the entrance...the sign says  "If you wanta be in the country, you gotta drive on a country road to get there"....and all the frustration melts away.....

Very rustic...you could tell that it is or was a working Ranch, nestled in a valley with mountains on two sides...the owners are very friendly, laid back...most things are on a honor system...they have a Club House, books Dvd rentals, Video rentals, walking trails, showers, etc...have a 160 sites...Passport America rate is $12.81 per night...can't beat that...oh... have wi-fi...though my Verizon cell works as well as my 3gb data system.....very nice place to kick back and relax.. let the games begin...Horst

photo of the day Horst Kelly Photographer






1 comment:

  1. Looks as if you are having a great trip. I love your pictures. Thanks for all the kind words about Natchez. We really enjoy it. Third weekend of October each year. Would love for you to show up and take some REAL photo's.

    ReplyDelete