Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lost Dutchman....will I be the one to find the Loot

Last evening..after photo's and getting the Armadillo ready for travel, I grilled a steak and had a salad to go with it....got out my maps and book of the "Southwest"....where to next....after much debate with the team...BTW, the team consists of me and only me....but I still manage to have a good debate...... I decide to go to the Superstition mountains and stay at  Lost Dutchman State Park..its only about 160 miles from Sedona...down south on I-17....then a couple of loop-de-loops....and you're there ....I hope......its good to have all these options.......and there are no mistakes or bad decisions.......what a concept...this retirement thing is!!!!


I've had my coffee, hooked-up and ready to "lets roll" by 0730...say a good-bye and happy travels to a neighbor...and it off to find the "Lost Mine"......hey, it could happen.....


View from my back window
Its a very relaxing ride.....and before you know it, I pulling into the campsite......its in the middle of no where, though there are some tourist traps leading in....ghost town, mining town and other stuff.....I get a site...I think other than the resident ranger and vol host, I'm the only one at the park...price is $25 per night...it has water, elect, and a dump station...sites have a picnic table, grill and campfire ring....but the view...from my back and side window... I have a perfect view of the Superstitions...what do you think??? I've signed up for 2 days, but may stay longer.....its got numerous trails....and the solitude is next to utopia....its hotter than Sedona...I'm running the AC right now...we'll see what the night brings....


Its now 8pm....I grilled and am sitting outside in wonder...there appears to be a full moon rising to the left of  Superstition Mountain.....what a view.....My mind wonders back a 100 or so years...and what was happening out here.....


view from campsite looking west
To me the Superstitions represent the classic Arizona mountains....The lost Dutchman State Park is the hub for hiking  and exploring the area...For photo's the park is a later afternoon and evening photo shoot.....this is a great place...as I sit here and reflect, I am in awe at my surroundings....and what I am able to capture, wondering and hoping my Grandkids will be able to witness this......




just another view at sunset


I'm calling it a day....get up early...do some hikes and some photo shoots...I can't believe I have internet capability and can tether my cell phone to my netbook...wow....and 50 years ago no 10 years ago.... there was no phone service out here......thanks for checking in...Horst


Have I said that I'm loving this adventure......more to follow


















No comments:

Post a Comment