Monday, October 24, 2011

Interstate 10 or US 90......Sonora Caverns or Seminole Canyon

I woke up around 0430...why I don't know...only had about 5 minutes work to be ready to roll.....so I read my email...fixed cereal...got cleaned up....now its 0500...Mmmmmm, now what....could drink a 6 pack of beer and pass out 'till 9 or 10......so I checked all my tires....read the pressures with a flashlight.....checked the lug nuts....checked the spare.....now its 0515......maybe the six pack isn't such a bad idea.....so I made some more coffee sat outside at the picnic table and watched the sun come up.....at first light I finished my hitching and said Good-Bye to Van Horn, Texas.....home of the Tequila(sunrise) lady and John Madden's favorite Mexican "chow down" place.......as Jerry said in his comment yesterday...its the memories.....
I started this morning deciding I was going on I-10 to the Caverns of Sonora...about 200+ miles down the road...then I got to thinking about one of my favorite spots for "winding down" and solitude...yup that be Seminole Canyon State Park, Tx....so at Ft. Stockton I hooked a right off of I-10 and went south to Sanderson Tx....and made a left onto US 90 to Seminole Canyon.....a bit over 220 total miles from Van Horn...if you want to know more about the drive, Sanderson and the like, go to my old blog and look at Jan 2011 trip... I go into some detail....why did this font just change....oh well...its ok.....anyway I get here late afternoon...ask for my favorite site "E-029".....right on top of the hill....overlooking probably 300 or so miles of West Texas.....BTW...no one else is here....as usual....so you want to know how desolate, its the only place in my 5 plus week trip...into very isolated areas I might add....that I have not had cell service...the State park does have wi fi, so I can communicate that way, but no cell, even with my Wilson Sleek Booster....I love this place......Fixed dinner and sat out and watched the sun set and the stars come out......its time to say good nite...and this was my wake-up call today...
Good Morning........America




Today I decide to do the six mile hike to the edge  of the Canyon......Its very peaceful......stops along the way....today as I was enjoying the quite....I heard a screech and rustling...look around and there where two Javelins...don't know who got the worst of it....them or me....there are ugly and have been known to charge people...didn't happen today...but I sang for the next  4 miles.....was
 a great relaxing hike...came back and did some maintenance on the Casita and rearranged stuff in the Xterra....took another drive..here are some photo's....


Hiking the Canyon Horst Kelly Photographer




There are numerous places to go to in a 50 mile area.....as long as you don't go south....without a passport....that be Mexico....spent the rest of the afternoon on some other trails and some photo's along the canyon/river...very peaceful.....







I grilled a steak for supper...with all the fixing; mushrooms, salad, beets and stuff.....sat outside watching the sun set, then watch as a 1000 various constellations pop into the heavens.....wow, and the occasional "falling star"...this is "down time" at its best...I do sleep well....



On my Hike Horst Kelly Photographer




I plan on getting up early, and since I hitched up earlier this evening, I'll roll after a cup of coffee..it's going to be about 220 miles or so...I plan on taking Ms Casita to Camping World prior to going home, dropping her off to have them fix it "right" this time....and then heading home....another 35 or so minutes.... am ready to hug and be hugged!!!! well the font changed again....help me figure this out!!!

Within the next few days or so I will post a summary of my trip, my thoughts, etc.....I will say, I enoyed it immensely...yes there where some "speed bumps", but that's life...and in relm of things there were minor....very minor.....what was amazing to me is if one would ask "what did you enjoy the most".the only true answer I could give is every new adventure...they all had very special memories and to pick one above all others is impossible.......special days make for a very special trip!!!! But the best part of a trip is coming home to that special "person".....Can't wait Hon...

last "trip" sunset Horst kelly photographer
.
and my final  "trip" sunset   Horst Kelly Photographer
For all of you that joined the trip at some point I thank you......and until the next trip.....as my hero Roy Rogers use to say "Happy Trails to You"...Horst sends

















No comments:

Post a Comment