Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Wild Hogs....and more.....and the 27th of Sept

I have seen signs that said Deer Crossing, Free Range Cattle Crossing, School Crossing.....but I have never seen  a sign that says " Wild Hog Crossing"...ok, .maybe on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras.....


Today(26 Sept) was my travel day for a north west destination....got on 40 west at Amarillo until Vega and then headed north on 385.......385 is the "Twilight Zone Road".....there is nothing there...do not get on this road with anything less than a full tank, especially if you're pulling your wagon......there is no "way-stations" until Channing....a booming town of 363, if you count the headstones...oh I forgot...half way there is Cal Farley's Boys Ranch.....sorta like Bing Crosby's  Father Flanagan Boys town.......the rest of the journey was for the most beign....when I got to Trinidad, Co on I-25, I made the decision to spend the night at their rest stop...after 2 hours and 6/7 truckers coming in with fumes that where lethel...I decided to move on....and the camping Gods where with me...I headed west on 160 toward Durango....and saw  the Lathrop State Park....a couple miles west of Walsenburg, Co...I will tell you it ranks as one of the  best parks I have stayed at....Colorado has a design patten made for campers...they have loop(rings) and they put the spaces around the loop, 98% are pull through...electric and a sewage dump....this campground has a lake and even a city golf course...so bring your sticks.....it is treed for the most part and spaced so that you don't feel like you're sitting on top of the next camper....and the views...wow.....this was the view looking out my camper...GOOD MORINING AMERICA111.

Photograph by Horst Kelly
needless to say, I spent alot of time in awe.....it is a great place to spend a day or more....This morning got up and walked for a hour...came back, cleaned up and rolled on...west on 160...my goal was to go to the Great Sand Dunes National Park...only a short drive.....to keep this short, I did not stay a the park...the price was right, but the sites are really set up for tents...so I opted for San Luis State park, about 8 or so miles away...again all pull throughs with electric....this one has 3 or 4 loops, overlooking a lake and the mountains...not as nice as the other, but still ok.....

Photograph by Horst Kelly
Can't beat that for a "back yard"........I thought I would treat myself and grilled a steak, with a side Greek Salad...and some Turkish style bread......looking at the view and watching the sun set....

Tomorrow I head off to the Durango area, where I hope to find a campsite in a central location to use as a "homebase", while I venture to Ouray, Silverton, Ridgeway, Telluride, Mesa Verde, Shiprock, etc.....

Sand Dunes are the lower set of peaks-photograph by Horst  Kelly

With just my net book I won't be able to enhance(darkroom stuff)...so I'll have wait until jouneys end before I post photo's to my website....woe is me...till tomorrow.....I loving this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment