Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Very Merry Christmas to Each of You and Your Famlies

Its getting late... I'm winding down and since I haven't had my eggnog for the evening , I thought I would write a little and sip a little and  wish all my Blogging Friends a Merry Christmas.  I will do my annual recap later on next week when things have settled down.

This evening as I sat staring at the Christmas Tree, my mind wondered back to my early years. The first several Christmas' of my life where spent in a German village called Garmisch- Partenkirchen. Its situated in the Bavaria region of Southern Germany.
Image result for garmisch partenkirchen

It has the highest mountain peak in Germany and to me it holds some of my fondest memories as a small child....It is majestic in its painted murals  on houses, alpine lakes, ancient churches. Its where I took my first hikes with my Grandfather(Opi),  learned to ski, skate, swim and climb a mountain or two. Its memory is a place I always go to when I need to be grounded or want some mental solitude.

In the late 1990's  I went back there to visit.  The first time in 40 years since I had visited and was trying to show my Bride where I lived and the school I had attended, etc.  It   was an overcast day and foggy.  I could not find those landmarks...We went back several days later, a clear day and in a few minutes I was standing in front of the old home and the school...It hit me that the surrounding Mountains had always been my go to reference points( my internal GPS ) and once I saw where I was in relation to the mountains I could find my way to wherever I wanted to go.  It was a great visit that brought back some terrific memories.

Image result for garmisch-partenkirchen germany during christmas

OK...back to reality..Oh....thanks for listening.  Since it was suppose to turn cold for the next couple days and too supplement the Christmas feast, I thought I could make some good old Texas Chili... Something to snack on in-between the regular Christmas snacking...So we had some this evening..not bad and I'm sure it will taste even better tomorrow for lunch. Tomorrow hopefully will be relaxing as there isn't much to do...maybe a last minute run for some obscure item that we now need....Other than that its waiting for old St Nick to come visit....

So from our Home to Yours...we wish each of you a very Merry and Blessed Christmas or as we say in German, "fröhliche Weihnachten"...Horst sends




 A song we use to sing at Christmas time:












6 comments:

  1. Horst, what an awesome German village you grew up in your early years. I can only imagine the emotions that swelled up as you returned to share with your bride. I bet the time spent doing all those things with your grandfather opened your heart to the beauty and desire to be out in God's creation.
    You sipping the egg nog makes me want to go out and get some good old fashioned egg nog. I used to make it many years ago, but since have lost the recipe.
    We wish for you and your family a very Merry and Blessed Christmas and a healthy Happy 2018.
    Take care my friend....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garmisch was/has a special place for me...Back in the late 40's early 50's it was truly just 2 villages that merged...though the 1938 Winter Olympics where held there , it still was a "non" tourist community...until much later...God does know how to create these "wondrous" places..Hope that you Guys had a wonderful and Blessed Christmas!! May 2018 provide only wonderful opportunities for enjoying our Makers marvelous creations. Horst sends

      Delete
  2. Childhood memories of Christmas, and time with your Opi, in such an amazing place. May you never forget them. Merry Christmas to you my friend. May 2018 bring you and yours amazing blessings beyond measure...jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about Childhood memories...and Opi was my first hero/mentor....Hope You and Wanda nd Family had a terrific Christmas and wishing that 2018 be filled with happiness, love and Great Memory Makes...along with Good Health, my Friend.. Horst sends

      Delete
  3. Texas chili sounds real good....we are not enjoying this cold weather!
    Keep the snow away while we are struggling to get through Texas...May you have a 2018 full of fun and lots of love, travel and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its getting down in the 30's...but no snow is predicted....more chili or maybe some good old beef stew....Have a safe trip...I may be going to Monahans Sandhills State Park off of I-20 in a couple weeks...It has sand dunes and I have never been there...we'll see how the weather is.
      May the New Year be filled with awesome adventures, Joy, laughter and more of those super photo's....and good health...safe travels to you and David. Horst sends

      Delete