Thursday, October 15, 2015

A Great Day..and a Thank you to Barney

If you have never been to Brantley State Park, it worth a stop….lots of stuff to do within a 50 mile radius.
Our Route for most of the Day...(c)2015 Horst Kelly Photographer

I got up about 0500..did the normal stuff one does at that time of morning than sat outside with my cup of Java and waited for the sun to wake up… We had planned on leaving at 0800….and did….and the Adventure started….Barney not only gave me a tour of the entire area….but also a detailed history of the area as well as the best dispersed camping spots….we went up several…he showed and explained how to tell if you where on BLM and/or National Forest land vs private land……The Road most traveled this day was rt 137..and its arteries.
Not the preferred road to El Paso....(c)2015Horst Kelly photographer
The road to El Paso....get Gas NOW...(c)2015Horst Kelly Photographer

First we went to the Back side of the Guadalupe Mts.  called Dog Canyon..I think it sits at about 6000+ feet..primitive camp sites..maybe 8-10….some well shaded and lots of opportunity for serious hikes….to try and capture that with a camera is impossible…at least for me it was…I originally had thought of camping there for a night…after our visit, I am glad I did a day trip…do to the time and distance from our take off point….it would be better served to stay 3 or 4 days….which I don’t have….But I will do that some day….next went to the Rim Road…what a magnificent ride that was..gravel but well maintained and numerous pull offs…….Lunch at one of the pull-offs...what a panoramic view of the canyon….Most folks wouldn’t believe you if you showed then pics and said that that was NM……
Went all the way to the end of the rim and then back down….its now early afternoon and we still had the Falls we wanted  to see….first was getting down the rim…

View from the Rim..lunch spot...(c)2015Horst Kelly Photographer
An attempt at panoramic view..(c)2015Horst kelly Photographer


….another great ride through some super dispersed camping areas… and a find I would never have guessed would be in this desert, Arid, environment….  The Falls where tucked away in a corner of the Canyon…and probably 200 or 300 feet high…has a pool that one can go swimming in…the only problem the sun was shining in such a fashion that a head on, full length photo was impossible…but I didn’t care…what will stay with me is the “day itself ”……those are the memories that are important…. spent about 45 minutes to an hour there…..I again got lost thinking about the first settlers that came across this area and what there thoughts where….Most of the photos need to be stitched into panoramic views and my on the road computor can’t do that…so I’ll do those and post when I get home….
The Falls..(c)2015Horst Kelly Photographer
Falls...(c)2015 Horst Kelly photographer
Falls...(c)2015Horst Kelly Photographer
At The falls....(c)2015Horst Kelly Photographer
The Fall photo’s don’t display the magnificence of the area…I should go back today….but there will be another time..

One Final area was a drive through…..and before I knew it we where in Carlsbad…although it was 5pm….Nine plus hours that felt like it went by in 10 minutes…What a terrific way to end my Trip this year…

I want to thank Barney for taking the time  to show me the area, …and " Having Toooo Much Fun".....Thanks....Horst sends

No comments:

Post a Comment