Sunday, March 22, 2015

A Need For Some Mental Cleansing...as in shake the Cranium cobwebs loose....

Another month is just about in the Books and I still haven't been out discovering some new place, hike or even BBQ Joint...but I haven't been sitting still..got the "Albino Armadillo" all washed and cleaned.....did a couple of simple modifications, Purchased a Renogy 100 Watt Mono suitcase Solar Panel from Craigs list...its at a  price I couldn't refuse..though it ended up being a drive from Hell up North, due to weather, But in the end, it was still worth it. Its only 4 months old, in perfect condition, tested and works well....now for a modification...I want to remove the controller from the panels and place it in the Casita, then upgrade to 6 or 8 gauge cable(wire) from controller to Battery...no more than 3/4 feet...currently its a 10/12 gauge at 15 feet.... then a 25 ft 10 gauge from panels to controller....also trying to find a remote to the controller to place in a convenient place to monitor...Since electric stuff and I are not "best Friends", this modification should interesting.....
My New Toy

I now have a kinda,, maybe,  sorta, trip planned....This is suppose to be a Banner Year for Bluebonnets and Wildflowers...I'm thinking of rolling North and setting up Camp at Inks Lake State Park, close to Buchanan Lake, between Burnet and Llano....leave the end  the Month and stay until after Easter Sunday....from there go to either Brenham, Tx or Big Bend Nat'l. Pk.....we'll see what the Bluebonnets are doing by then at either place....about a two week trip...enough to do some Mental Cleansing...and get the blood flowing full speed again....Hopefully Mother Nature has settled down or at least taking a breather and the weather will be "Spring Perfect"...though some  overcast  will probably be best for the flower photography....I am Ready!!!

I want to thank all the folks that I asked questions on Solar stuff, Sharon of Tiny Camper, Jon Vermilye of Jon's Journey; and Jean from the Borderbrae Blog....thanks for all your help and advice!!!

A couple photo's from trip from days gone by....more of these can be found on my 2015 Trip Gallery..Happy Trails....until next time...Horst sends

(c)Horst Kelly Photographer




(c) Horst Kelly Photographer

(c)Horst Kelly Photographer

7 comments:

  1. Glad you got the suitcase solar. I'm not familiar with that brand, so look forward to your review of how you like it.

    ideally, I'd like RV Sue's setup. But I probably don't need anything that big. It would be great for bragging rights, though!

    i have never personally seen the desert blooming, so look forward to seeing it through your camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still testing the solar, but so far its working to my expectations....beats running the generator.....Going to leave mid-week next week and head north to the Hill country and see how the wild flowers are....looking forward to the camping....,take care....Horst sends

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you and glad you like the solar. We love our suitcase and never thought about moving the controller. We monitor ours inside through a voltage meter in the battery plug outlet.

    Great photos...looking forward to your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the photo's....looking forward to getting out next week for Spring Flowers....the Solar Suitcase is really great...I'm glad I got it...take care...Horst sends

      Delete
  3. I think back to all that Jerry did to our Casita for solar and boondocking and never got to try out! It's really going to allow you to travel to some sweet sites!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think back to all that Jerry did to our Casita for solar and boondocking and never got to try out! It's really going to allow you to travel to some sweet sites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had Jerry's capabilities...but it will be fun trying to do the modifications on the solar unit...I am enjoying it now...its working great....looking forward to its first boondocking test next week..enjoy your "northern adventure"....Horst sends

      Delete