Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Postscript….A Summer of Endless Memories


I’ve been trying to to piece together my thoughts about this journey… What my original expectations were and what was reality at the end of the day…






First,  I wanted The Boys to experience this country from an exploring angle...through camping…the emphasis on an interest both had….History and Military…my original plan had twice as much on the "seeing America" plate....and a much longer time span for this adventure….but we had to shorten the original plans based on  when school would start….


Second….in reality, I had to remember they are only 11 and almost 9 years old…so Forts, History, Space, Camping, Hiking, and Museums, etc. will only go so far….kinda like having “DQ Blizzards” every day…I soon learned that I had to mix it up…maybe a smore or pop tart once in a while….So stuff like swimming in the ocean or pool, go-karts, arcades, miniature golf, rock climbing, Glass Bottom Boat Rides, etc, also became part of this Journey.....


Third….Camping in the Casita….while they truly enjoyed it, at times  it became somewhat confining for them….how can you play “Grab-Ass” in 84 square feet… when it's raining for 2 or 3 days in a row….


At the end of the Day….the feedback from Daughter and SIL is that they had a terrific time and enjoyed not only the Camping portion but also the time spend at the “Homestead”..and the interaction with Omi(the Bride)... my observations would agree with that assessment….in fact they kept talking about what we where going to do and/or go next year….



Now, lets assess me…..how did I fare…I’m no “Spring Chicken”…I’m going to be 71 in the next couple months...… I'm held together by Duct Tape, Super Glue, and Baling Wire(lol)...though I have never felt that your chronological age drives or limits your level of physical activity...I hate when Doctors try to put you in a  "Box" based on your age....However, I do feel fortunate to be able to do these activities....A lot of my friends thought I was crazy for wanting to do this….but at the end of the day it was an experience that will continue to put a smile on my face and a glow in my heart…it will rank up there as a very special and priceless moment in my life…Did it wear me out…yes, but mostly in a good way…and I have been in a relaxing mode since I've gotten back …I have  put on several extra pounds… from the fast Food places we went to, the increase in wine consumption(lol), and a lack on doing my daily walks...would I do it again..God willing and the creek don’t rise…the answer is yes……probably modify the adventure somewhat....I still want us to mostly camp in the Casita...and I believe they do also. But maybe along the way sprinkle in a couple...or more "Motel Sleep Overs".... .I think a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains, Skyline Drive area would be fun...maybe during Easter /Spring Break....we'll see...somehow/someway I also want to do my Canada/Alaska trip next year...though I will need a green light from my Doctors, which should be a no brainer, I hope....and more importantly a pass from my supportive " Bride".....






At the end of the Day it was one Hell of a ride… one that I will never forget and that I think every Opi and Omi should try.... at least once….I was fortunate in that I have watched The Boys several times solo for up to 2 weeks in the past….so the 3 of us knew each other and our “warts”…


I want to thank all of you that stopped by to read my daily ramblings and those of you that left all the positive comments….my photo’s for today are a look at some past memories…last year at this time I was wandering  through Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons, Badlands, etc…so I thought I would post some photos from  that Adventure…until  next time….Happy Trails…Horst sends

The 3 wandering Amigos
ps...I just noticed that there is a large gap between here and the bottom of the page where you can leave a comment or go to an older post...don't know how to fix it...so if you want to do either it will take a little scrolling....sorry...Horst sends


§
1
2
3
4
5
 
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
Return
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
 
 
shift
 
z
x
c
 
b
n
 
,
.
shift
 
English
alt
alt
Preferences

11 comments:

  1. Awesome photo's to accompany your final report on the time with your gk's. Love the one of the bear, most of all. We were blessed with some Casita time with our one and only grand daughter for a few trips. Something we'll also remember forever. Hope you get many more journey's with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoping there will be more adventures for the "3 Amigos"..it was fun and I learned a lot....need to get the Casita road ready for a short "solitude" trip...Have a Super Labor Day weekend....can't wait to see more photo's of the House Build"...Horst sends

      Delete
  2. Loved sharing the afterglow of the trip with you, Horst. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I enjoy a quite evening, glass of wine and smiling as I relive the Adventure....over and over and over...BTW, I'm ordering the "Mushroom" book you suggested...Have a Great Labor Day Weekend...Horst sends

      Delete
  3. You said it....nothing can match time with the family especially playing Grandpa! Just a lovely story....love it. Off my blog for a bit...caregiving my sis then home for two weeks of appts and mods or FIXES. Travel starts back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment on"...a lovely story"...I did have the time of my life.....Hope all is ok with you Guys and nothing serious with your sister...what mods are you going to tackle....Have a Great Labor Day weekend...can't wait for the next Journey you two have!!!....Horst sends

      Delete
  4. What a great time you and the grands had together! reflections are very good and being with family....priceless. Horst, your pics are really good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment on the photos...it was a terrific trip and the opportunity to relive it makes it all the more special...especially with photos and a journal...Take care and may you two have a Super Labor Day Weekend!!!...Horst sends

      Delete
  5. Loved your pictures, especially the face in the lake!

    When the boys are grown, they will still remember this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn..."face in the lake"...clever...I like it....I thinks the Boys had a good time...I know when I grow up, I will still remember it LOL...Have a safe trip back...Horst sends

      Delete
    2. Just noticed I left the "e" off of Lynne...SORRY...old age is catching up to me...hope you Guys are relaxing a bit.....Horst sends

      Delete