Monday, September 3, 2012

Two Summits and the Colorado River awaits me....

So where do I start....1 Sept sounds about right...I was going to get up early and try to find my evasive Moose and or Elk....well it rained most of the night and was looking like it wanted to start again around 0600 hours....so my plan was to forego the Moose and hitch up and head south....by 0700 I was on my way....hoping I would find something that would change my mind...... I headed south on Rt 191....Wyoming did not disappoint me...let me down easy and showed me a serene ride with either the Snake or Hoback Rivers running parallel to Rt 190....wow is all I can say...
Hoback River...Horst Kelly Photographer


The farthest point I wanted to travel was Vernal, Utah.........by around 130pm or so I came to the north end of Flaming Gorge National ReReservoir...a huge lake that is damed...I had run through a lightening storm and was pretty well beat..I pulled over at a hill top and wondered if there was a camping area on the lake... quarter mile south I was rewarded with a 5 mile trip on a "washboard" road to a COE campground on the lake...30 minutes later I backed into a  super spot...my back window looked directly onto the lake...no hookups, but I can run the Genny.....bathrooms.....what a great site.....a storm blew in, but by nine pm all was quite, so I  thought...then the icing on the cake, across the lake a "fireworks display started"...I made the decision to watch the show instead of trying to set up my camera equipment...what a neat display...then off to bed and see what tormmow brings...
Campsite at Flaming Gorge....Horst Kelly Photographer

Its now early morning on the 2nd of Sept....great looking day....I had my coffee watching the sun peek over the horizen...by 0715 I was rolling on the 5 mile washboard road unto Rt 191...about 20 minutes later  I was driving across the top of the Dam...what a site...I stopped at the visitors center, which was closed...tried to take a photo or two of the dam, but it was directly in the sun....so you'll just have to imagine what it looks like...and then the climb started...from the north side you don't get an appreciation what to expect....plus I thought I had researched enough and didn't think I was going to be tackling any major summits....was I in for a shock...what seemed like an eternity, but probably closer to 45 minutes of 3rd gear climbing...it becamed very clear that this wasn't just a "Butte".....though I wasn't able to pull over to snap a shot...let me say that I was looking at the cloud cover and it was below me.....15 switchbacks and anywhere from a 6 to 8+ degree downhill run I made it safely to Vernal, Utah....2 hours to go about 60 miles.....But now the the drive should be a breeze....I should be at Moah my early afternoon....all was going well between Vernal and Duchesne...quaint small towns, nice sceanery, cruising along at 55mph. Thought I would gas up at Duchesne, since it didn't look like there was any other towns for a while....and now I know why....
Soon after leaving the comfort of an open road, I once again started climbing, and climbing.....I was absolutly sure this was not going to be a major summit....but at 9400 feet I finally saw the other side and this time only 7 switchbacks and about 6 or so miles down to the floor...the rest of the trip was uneventful and I rolled unto main street Moab about 1530 hours....
Just another Great Sunrise....Horst Kelly photographer

I had remembered from a previous visit..several COE or BLM campgrounds along the Colorado River north of town....all appeared full or at least the entrace signs said they where...I turned around at about the 16  mile marker and concided that I woukld probably have to stay at a commerical CG at premium Labor Day rates...the first COE  CG is called Goose Island and even though it said "FULL", I decided to venture in and what do you know, a large site awaits ...what a deal...I put my 6 dollars in the enevlope, didn't unhitch as I was not sure of my plans for tomorrow...sat outside and watched the sun set...
At Moab....evening shot...Horst Kelly Photographer

and the best part is I have cell coverage and 3G...though very slow....another great day of Adventures...and it ended so well....maybe I'll float down the Colorado a bit.....Thanks for stopping by...Horst sends

No comments:

Post a Comment