Thursday, August 30, 2012

Keep a Knocking but you can't come in...Come Back tomorrow......


The day started around 0500 this morning...a crisp 45 degrees...a hot cup of coffee is always a good wake up..my plan today was to go to Oxbow Bend and then travel south on the Teton Park Road while I still had some early morning light. So what is Oxbow Bend...It is said to be one of the truly great landscape photo locations in North America....regularly featured on the cover of travel, nature and photography magazines...and is a magnet for all of us photo buffs...not that one of my photo’s will appear in a “Gallery”...Got there before 0600 and folks started arriving soon after....I found my spot, though I like to mix it up...I dared not give up the spot I had...as I pack of “gnarly” photographers would surly stake claim to my spot....what a great site it was...you are at a spot where the Snake River bends and has created a still body of water that is perfect for creating a mirror effect....and if you are lucky enough to have some clouds...well, its like winning the “mega lottery”....I will go back tomorrow prior to hitching up.
Teton Range..What a great wake-up....Horst Kelly Photographer


Then it was off to see what photo ops I could find on the Teton Park Road....and a short side trip to Jenny Lake.....wow is all I can say....
A side road led me to the Bar Flying U Ranch established by J. Pierce Cunningham(came from New York) in the 1880’s ...it’s a self guided tour of about half mile..all the structures are gone except the cabin they lived in...a nice side trip......
Got back to camp around one and decided to do some laundry and eat lunch.....after that did some reading as to what my game plan was for tomorrow..I am enjoying the Tetons....There is a 7500 acre fire about 10 to 15 miles southeast of here in Moran...they have closed some trails, but so far no immediate danger....I showed a photo of it yesterday....
Now for all you photo types...recall my encounter with a bear a week or so ago..and my decision to walk away and live to write another daily entry to my blog instead of trying to get the shot of the day....as I was doing my laundry, I got the Jackson Hole newspaper and there on page 8 the following story appears..
“The grizzly stares at the camera with a look that appears ominous in the LAST photo snapped by Richard White just before the animal mauled him to death in Alaska’s Denali National Park....the photo is among 26 snapshots of the male bear taken in a 8 minute span....bear was about 40 to 50 yards from White”.....and that same story can probably be told with Bison, Elk, Moose, etc....’nuf said...
Horst Kelly Photographer

Todays dinner will be breakfast...bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, country gravy ....and some fried bread(toast)....until tomorrow...safe journeys, thanks for stopping by...Horst

A new day ...couldn't get my 3g to be 3g and so no posting on 08-28-12.....it's now 29 Aug....decided to sleep in a little longer as I was only traveling 40 something miles south to the Gros Ventre CG....very relaxing drive and got here about 1000 hours.....a totally different setup then Colter....first no pull thrus...and it appears the campground was orginally set up for tent camping....they do have loops, but the back-ins are a challenge...I guess my Irish luck was with me today and I had not problems, though a tree on each side only left about a foot and a half of clearance...went I had backed in my Xterra was at the front of the slot across from me....and after unhitching I had to park perpendicular  to the Casita.....But no harm no foul!!
Oxbow Bend Horst Kelly Photograher



Did some morning photo shoots and then went to Jackson Hole....wow, quite a town....and the prices..they appear higher then what I experienced at Aspen or Vail....a slice of salmon at the market was $21.00...same as what I get at Heb in Texas for 6 or 7 dollars....speaking of prices I hit my first $4.00 a gallon gas ...in fact it was $4.06.......I did find gas here a bit cheaper at $3.86....

Enough of the minual crap...this place is my picture of "Heaven".....thus todays title...when taken in conjunction with yesterdays title, "Keep a Knocking but you can't come in...come back tomorrow and try it again"....Every time you think you've captured the heart of the Tetons, it presents something new and different....I am a LUCKY Man, to have had these experiences and exposures with this great country and the great people that have a similar interest....to venture and experience....

I will close for now and try to get this posted...this evening's menu consists of ribeye, hashbrowns(leftover from last night). salad, sweet corn on the cob, on the barbie of course...and some great beverage...Thanks for looking in...Horst sends

No comments:

Post a Comment