Saturday, October 15, 2011

Packing up for Tombstone and Bisbee......and the O.K. Corral

Sorry about not posting yesterday....intentions where good...execution sucked....Got up on the morning of the 13th to do some serious trail hiking around the Superstitions.....My plan was to do Siphon Draw Trail first....a 4 mile round trip that winds up the canyon...no switchbacks...just a steady climb....and moderate elevation....lots of rocks and stuff....did that..and then as I was about 2/3's down caught Jacob's Crosscut Trail...0.8 miles along the base of the mountain...came down and got on Discovery Trail that ends up at the Campgrounds....I will say that the hiking poles my Doctor suggested really helped, not only for lessening the impact, especially down hill, but also for balance!! I'ts early evening...my intention is to take a shower...cook dinner...do the blog....and go to bed.......
So I got two of those tasks done....shower and hit the sack.....oh well tomorrow is another day..and time to saddle up.......
This morning woke up about six....cleaned up, coffee and sat outside to see the sun rise.....My goal was the Tombstone Territories Rv Resort....a home base for a couple of days...to see Tombstone, Brisbee, and Ft.Huachuca....it was a drive for the most part south on I-10....a little more than 200 miles....about 5 hours for me....the Rv park is about 15 or so miles west of Tombstone...then another 20 or so south to Brisbee....Park is an average park...gravel....facilities are great, laundry room, great Recreation area, pool, hot tub......and positive attitude..plus Passport America discount....so the price was around $16.00 per night...not bad ...Got here about 1pm...set up about half hour later and started my touring....1st stop...Tombstone...
Horst Kelly Photographer

I walked around the town...photo ops are better for early morning......yes it is for the tourist crowd...but it still has significance for the immense history of its time....plus I enjoy the Western Frontier.....it shows another side of America.....the down to earth...nuts and bolts side....I did not go all through the old part as I plan on doing that tomorrow.....spent about an hour here and headed for Bisbee.....from a historical perspective, it a mining town founded in 1880 and nestled in the mile-high Mule Mountains. Bisbee was once the largest city between St. Louis and San  Francisco...today ...it is a laid back,,.probably houses more antique shops per square block then I have ever seen...artisan shops, local Breweries, cafes and some old time saloons....It sits on a hillside with narrow streets that wind in and out of town...the personility of the town appears (to me) to be out of our own '60s generation...and the offspring have retained that focus.....crossed paths with one woman...who said "I guess you heard  me talking to myself....but I'm not crazy..."

Horst Kelly Photographer

There is a staircase that boasts to having a 1000 steps.....and on Saturday Bisbee is having their 1000 stair climb........thats a heart attack waiting to happen......So...I'll be coming back tomorrow to hopefully catch a little of that..until then....Horst

Horst Kelly Photographer...start of 1000 step stair climb



Horst Kelly Photographer







No comments:

Post a Comment