Friday, October 21, 2011

The Dunes ...and the Missile Range

After losing my post 4 times last night....I quit....tucked the little net book to bed.......and thought maybe a fresh start tomorrow morning would be best for both of us.....so here it is the 21 Oct about 0600 local, sipping my first cup of coffee and talking really nice to the "net book"....we'll see how this turns out.

Sand Dunes Horst Kelly Photography


Yesterday I was up by 0500, getting ready for my trip to the Sand Dunes...about 15 or so miles from where I'm staying...I wanted to get there in time to catch the first light....the sky was clear...I little wind...but that's ok...

Went through the gate about 0715 and started the 8 mile drive....I knew of a couple places I wanted to try and photograph.....this is like some of the other places...a 35mm does not do it justice...it's hard to reflect its personality...but it will be forever part of my memory..........

Horst Kelly Photography


These Dunes are completely different in the structure, consistency, and color from the Dunes in Colorado....the color remind me of the sandy beaches of Destin, Florida.....very bright....a little history....


"Rising from the heart of the Tularosa Basin is one of the world's great natural wonders - the glistening white sands of New Mexico. Here, dunes have engulfed 275 square miles of desert creating the world's largest gypsum dunefield.
White Sands National Monument preserves this dunefield, along with the plants and animals that have adapted to this constantly changing environment

Horst Kelly Photography


My first "speed bump" of the day....my camera wouldn't auto focus.....I changed lens to rulethat out, but the same thing.....took some photo's on manual, but worried that my eye sight, even with glasses was going to screw the day up....tried one more thing...just for grins...I reset all the controls back to default....and it worked...auto focus returned....

I spent about two hours hiking up and down the dunes...I plan on going back this evening (21 Oct) and trying to catch the last light ....the dunes are easy to walk on as the surface is like concrete, except for the fine layer on top...not at all like walking through sand.....next it was off to the White Sands Missile Range about 30 miles south west....

Horst Kelly Photography


I got through the gate with no problems...due to my Air Force sticker...drove around the installation. It is said to be the largest US military installation in the US...clean and well maintained......The north end of the Range marks ground zero where the first atomic bomb was detonated on 16 July '45... .though the Museum is small, it is very informative and loads of useful info to include a "Hall of Hero's"...people who helped shape the early days of Missile and Space.....

The static displays had numerous missile platforms to include the V-2 and other firsts...very interesting....again I spent about 2 hours there and for me it is a worthwhile stop....
Horst Kelly Photography


















Drove back to camp. went to Walmart, also got an oil change...went to the Pistachio and wine outlet....time for dinner and sitting by the pond to see if Jaws the Bass..will jump up...tried to load a journal...and called it a night...we will now see if I can publish this current redo.....


No comments:

Post a Comment